Glenfield 1912 - 1962
Names of People Living in Glenfield
John and Ed Ryum
Owen, Percy and Ray Nelson
Mrs. Northness, Henry, Carl and Ted
Mr. and Mrs. Carl McDaniel and Family
Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Olson and Kenneth
Mr. and Mrs. John Broten and Glen
Mr. and Mrs. Bergland
Mrs. Holms and Family
Frank and Percy Heany
Mr. and Mrs. Pete Sollom
Mr. and Mrs. John Arens and Family
Alfred Otto Goshfire and Dorothy
Buck the Blacksmith after Geo. Paulson
Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Paulson
History of Glenfield 1912-1957
We wish to express our appreciation to all who so kindly aided us in gathering and preparing the material for our "History of Glenfield." Our special thanks to Miss Lottie Posey for her help.
Marnie H. Fritz, Instructor
HISTORY OF GLENFIELD 1912-1937
By Lottie Posey
The first rails of the Fargo-Surrey Cut-off were laid in the summer of 1912. Our first depot was a box car. The first agent was Carl Gustafson. Many of the freight shipments came in little square boxes and when you picked them up, the contents said good, good, good!
The first store building was moved here from Courtenay in the early summer of 1912, with Dave Syverson the first merchant. The next building was the hardware store built the same summer by Melvin Harding, the owner. A. E. Olson of Courtenay came here as general manager.
The Congregational Church was erected in 1912, by means of cash and labor donations. Reverend Kellogg was our first pastor. Before the church was completed a service was held at the hardware store at which time Janie, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pitcher was christened.
Another general store was built by Carl McDaniel. Adolph Sollom came as general manager.
The bank was started in 1912. The implement building owned by A. W. Johnson had been completed and the bank was opened in their office. Frank Heaney was cashier. The bank building was completed in 1913.
The next business building was a pool hall built and operated by T. J. McCauley. Peter Adolph had a barber shop in the same building.
TThe confectionary store was built in 1912, and opened for business at Thanksgiving time by Miss Gusta Johnson.
The Olson Brothers built and operated a restaurant in the building known today as the old butcher shop on the east side. The Olson Brothers' contracting crew built most of the early business houses while Henry Reed had contracts for most of the early dwellings built here. A. W. Johnson built the implement building, where the Alley store was located in 1935. Late in 1914, he bought the hardware store from Harding and in 1915, sold both places to H. S. Halvorson who did some remodeling. Both business firms were moved into the same building with A. E. Olson as manager and Frank Stevenson, clerk. Pat McNeil and Ernest Halvorson were the successors.
Alfred Hoggarth started a dray line here early in the summer of 1912. W. A. Hoggarth, better known here as "Bill" came to help him in the fall and took over the dray line after the death of his brother in 1913.
The Crane Johnson Lumber Company started their establishment here in 1912, with Owen Nelson as manager. He was succeeded by S. H. Thorpe, Ole Helgeland and Jack Groma. This business was discontinued in 1920.
The Glenfield Co-operative Company organized and opened a fuel and lumber yard in 1918, with Ole Helgeland, manager. It was continued until 1923, when it was sold to Berg and Company. E. S. Berg closed business on October 1, 1934.
Garrett Johnson built the Livery Barn in the fall of 1912. He was succeeded by J. J. Spink who sold out early in 1915, to W. A. Hoggarth.
E.L. Buck moved his dwelling here from Courtenay in 1914, and opened our first blacksmith shop. He was succeeded by G. M. Paulson and Herman Lowe. The shop was owned for two years by L. J. Dickerson.
The first garage was opened in the old Butcher Shop on the east side with W. R. Vandewerker and Willard Nelson as proprietors and Nels Westerburg as mechanic. The present garage was built in 1916. Jay Robinson, the first manager, was succeeded by Roy Hopwood and Jans Larson. In 1922, the Larson Brothers, took over.
In 1925, Wagoner had charge. In the early part of '26, Robert Turner and Lewis Larson had charge of the garage and sold to Raynard Thompson in the fall.
The Thiede School was moved to town in the fall of 1913, and early in January 1914, a four month term of school was started with an enrollment of 37. Lottie Posey was the teacher. The township was bonded and the new school building was begun early in 1914, and completed so that school was opened in November 1914, with Minnie Moffitt and Lottie Posey as teachers. Percy Heaney was added to the staff after the holidays and remained until field work started in the spring.
On December 30, 1912, Lottie Posey was commissioned Postmaster for Glenfield. The first mail was received and the office opened on February 15, 1913.
Mike Davey moved his family here from Kensal and started work as section foreman in 1913. He was succeeded by Lundby and Sven Holmen.
John Broten bought the Syverson store in 1913, and built the residence where Rev. Ordahl lived. Broten sold the store to E. H. Dailey, who sold to Alfred Loken in 1922.
Heany Brothers bought the Carl McDaniel Store. The First State Bank bought it and sold to William and Albert Alley in 1924.
Franklin Larson succeeded T. J. McCauley in the Pool Hall. He quit in 1917, and his successors were so numerous we lost track until Ed Anderson opened a restaurant in that building in 1929. Richard Robichand opened a Pool Room and Barber Shop in the Thurlon building. His successors were E. J. Boisjolie, Olinger and Heaney, Hjalmer Erickson and Pete Florell, Fred Reins, Frank Stevenson, I. E. Brotherton and Roger Ehlert.
Olinger opened a Pool Hall in the Hardware store in 1917. In 1918, he sold it to R. Robichand who remained until the fire on May 10, 1932.
On February 10, 1915, W. A. Hoggarth and Miss Gusta Johnson decided to consolidate the Glenfield Dray Line and Confectionery Store. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards rented the store late in 1916. Mrs. Edwards managed the store. Mr. Edwards was the Great Northern Depot agent. In April 1917, Lottie Posey moved the post office into the confectionery and it remained there until 1929. In 1931, the Post Office was moved to the bank building.
Agents for the Great Northern were Orin Ridgeway, O. V. Skorheim and R. B. Paulson who came in 1930.
1918 brought prosperity, gladness and sorrow. The joy and gladness was caused by the signing of the Armistice and the sadness by the epidemic of flu that followed.
Ten years later, 1928, brought the bank robbery. If you don't think it gives you a thrill to face cold steel ask Lee Dunbar. This same year two rooms were added to the school building.
In October, Ernest Pederson met his death when his truck was hit by Train 199, at the crossing on Main Street.
In June 1929, the First State Bank closed.
The old school building was moved to Main Street for a meat market in 1914. Mr. Meinke, the proprietor was succeeded by Charles Berglund and J. B. Johnson.
Frank Thurlon, the manager of a meat market for John Aerstad in 1922, was succeeded by Shorty Russel. In 1924, H. G. Brom bought the shop. A meat market was opened in the Alley Store in 1929. Charles Thompson bought the old meat market on the west side in the early '20s, and opened a Harness and Shoe shop.
In 1917, the Lutherans built their church here. Rev. W. A. Larson was the first pastor in the new building.
On February 25, 1917, Glenfield was saddened by their first tragedy when the Ed Hennings home was destroyed by fire, caused by a stove explosion.' Mrs. Hennings and baby daughter were so badly burned they died that day.
Then came the World War. The first men to enlist were Charles Cole and Oscar Holtan on May 30, 1917. The first men called by the draft were Marvin Johannsen, Clarence Logan, Harvey Johnson late in same year. During the months that followed many more were called. Our only gold star on the roll of honor was for Ralph Olinger who died overseas in 1918.
C.W. Smith opened his Produce Store here in 1930, and since then has added a line of groceries and Wear-U-Well shoes.
Charles Alley opened a pool hall and confectionery in 1928. He sold the confectionery to Mrs. Caroline Pramhus of Cooperstown in 1931.
In the spring of '31, A. J. Smith and Co., of Carrington opened a hardware store in the old Alley Store with William Bronaugh as manager. The Alleys bought the building known as the Glenfield Hardware and moved their stock to their new location in 1930.
Carl Neirenberg opened the filling station on Highway 7 in 1926. He was succeeded by Arthur Anderson, workman Harold Overbeck and Art Brewer.
On May 10, 1932, fire broke out destroying Anderson's Eat Shop, Smith Hardware, Robichand Pool Hall and Barber Shop, Loken's Store, Pramhus Cafe, and Thompson's Harness Shop.
Mr. Anderson moved in a building from Courtenay that summer and remodeled it for his Eat Shop.
Loken rebuilt in the next block north the same year. Robichand bought a shop in Hillsboro. Mrs. Pramhus returned to Cooperstown and A. J. Smith decided not to rebuild.
Putman of Carrington and William Bronaugh brought the Putman building from Melville and opened the hardware store with W. R. Bronaugh, manager.
Charles Alley opened a general store in the pool hall building for a couple of months. Later he and A. M. Kadry opened the pool hall. Kadry moved to Pillsbury and rented the hall to Arnold and James McDaniel who were there until August 1934. Kenneth Lampert and Charles Alley then took over the management. Ralph Glassner opened his barber shop in the Kadry Pool Hall in 1932. He moved the bank building here in 1934, from Juanita, remodeled it for a shop and living quarters.
Armour Company opened a cream station here in May 1934, with Myrl Posey as buyer.
Improvements made from 1915-1935 include the following:
1. Two state highways - 7 and 20.
2. A two-room addition to the school building.
3. Increased teaching staff from two to seven teachers.
4. The Farmers Union Coal Sheds.
5. New stock yards.
6. New Standard Bulk Station.
7. New Feed Mill by Monarch Co.
Autumn 1937, Lumber Yard by Monarch Elevator Co., with Sharpe, Mgr.
JJune 1-2, 1937, Glenfield's 25th Anniversary.
Interviews with Pioneers
Julia Johnson by Quentin Johnson: (nee Pearson) was born in Sweden. Came to America in 1892. She settled in Eastman Township for 10 years, then moved to Glenfield. She recalls the coming of the railroad building, of the school house.
Hildur Johnson by Joel McDaniel: (nee Lund) born in Sweden, September 8, 1883. Immigrated here 1906, settled 4 1/2 miles southwest of Glenfield. Remembers first cars, telephones, electric lights and tractors. Remarks that people have much living today.
Henry Walen by Vivian Walen: Born in Kandeyohi, Minnesota. Came to this community in 1910, settling on a farm three miles south of Glenfield. Recalls shocking grain where Glenfield now stands, the coming of the railroad.
Amelia Hunsberger by Patty Lutz: Born in Iowa February 22, 1892. She came to this community in 1917, and settled in Kingsley Township. She resides in Glenfield at the present.
Tina Beardsley Bronaugh by Patty Lutz: Born in Minnesota and came here in 1910. At present is residing in Glenfield. Believes Glenfield is smaller now than formerly.
Charley Alley by Charles Alley: Born in Kafardenes, Syria. Came, settled in this community in 1929. Operated a pool hall in Glenfield for some time and is now residing on his farm north of town - also recalls the coming of the railroads.
Mr. C. W. Smith by Linda Kirkeby: Born in Ringgold, Iowa. Settled here in 1925, and is still operating a store in town.
Mrs. C. W. Smith by Linda Kirkeby: (nee Agnes Elefson) came to this community in 1926. Recalls the fire which burned all the buildings on the west side of main street except the post office.
Josephine Hendrickson by Rachel Hendrickson: Born in Sweden in 1881. She came to America at seven years of age. They came to this community in 1888. Settled four miles southwest of Glenfield. She has been here 69 years. She resides in Glenfield during the winter months. Mr. Hendrickson passed away in 1921.
Pearl Peters by Judith Van Winkle: Born in Iowa 1897, she came here in 1916, living in Glenfield or near here since that time. She recalls the big fire, building of school house, and gymnasium. Miss Peters likes Glenfield very much.
George Sampson by Jerome Eli: Born in Iowa on July 2, 1887. Came to the community in 1947. Continues to farm with horses.
LLouis Hennings by Class: Born in Holstein, Wisconsin, 1888, at 18 months moved to Iowa. Came to Carrington, North Dakota, in 1902. Farmed on Section 1, Glenfield Township in 1913-1923. Lived in Glenfield since 1924. Worked for State Highway until 1931, carpenter work until '46, school janitor since '46.
Charlotte Posey by Maryann Asmael: Born near Bascobel, Crawford County, Wisconsin, October 13, 1888. She came to Glenfield in fall of 1912. After receiving her commission she opened the post office February 15, 1913. She wrote a history of Glenfield for the 25th anniversary. Recalls the big fire and erection of new buildings.
Mr. and Mrs. Bill Alley by Cleone Paczkowski: Came to this community from Syria in 1911, and remained here for 37 years. Moved to Tokio for 10 years and returned to reside in Glenfield. Remembers the big fire.
W.R. Vanderworker by Judy Eli: Born in Henry County, Illinois, came here in 1913. Was a blacksmith. Believes Glenfield had more business than now, because of better transportation and roads. Recalls the big fire of 1925. Believes peoples prosperity today makes them less friendly. Remembers all the building and changes that have taken place in our little town.
Mrs. Sarah Burns Dunbar by Maryann Asmael: Born in Wauzeka; Crawford County, Wisconsin, May 4, 1888. Came to North Dakota. April 1908. Recalls building of railroad in 1911. Farmed near Glenfield. Improvements especially noted are electricity, roads, modernized farms and cars.
Albert Peterson: Albert Peterson came from Wisconsin to farm here and later worked some in the elevator.
Albert Hady by Charles Alley: Born in Rafade, Syria, 1889. Came to Glenfield doing farm work for 37 years. Mr. and Mrs. Hady moved to Glenfield 15 years ago.
Mrs. Hannah Overbeck by Frances Eli: Born in Ohio in 1860, arrived in Glenfield in 1920. Had variety of businesses in Glenfield. Has been ill and bed-ridden for 1 1/2 years. At 97 years of age is Glenfield's oldest resident.
James Barclay by Gary Ryum and Dennis Halvorson: Born in Scotland. Came to North Dakota in 1928, then moved to Canada. Later settled in Carrington, worked for the State Highway Department. Took over service station in Glenfield in 1939. Recalls building of overpass on Highway 20 with Casy Daniels, foreman.
George Overbeck by Patty Lutz: Came from Elgin, Iowa to Griggs County in 1914. Took up farming 31h miles northeast of Glenfield. Now residing in Glenfield.
Andrew Sharpe: Born in Norway November 26, 1886. Came to U. S. in 1902. Settled in Cooperstown and worked in the grain business. Came to Glenfield in 1923, continuing in the grain business until the present. Served the community as a State Legislator for eight years and a school board member for 15 years. Mrs. Sharpe was reared in Cooperstown.
Lars Walen by Cleone Paczkowski: Born in Norway in 1888. Came to this community in 1908, and farmed the land which is now Glenfield. Had a family of six boys and one girl. Helped fight the big fire of 1932. Recalls people lived in cook cars and sheds until homes could be built. Boarded many carpenters during building period. Served on school board for over 20 years.
John Hedquist by Duane Dickhaus: Came to this community in 1913, from Minnesota. Now living in town after farming for many years. Noted that town is much smaller than in early days.
Raynard Thompson by Gary Ryum: Mr. Thompson's folks came from Sturoger, Norway. Mr. Thompson was born in North Dakota in 1884. Mrs. Thompson came from Ontario, Canada. They settled on a farm here. They have lived in Glenfield for some years.
Source: Glenfield History 1886 – 1987 Page 47