James Marsar Cussons Sr. first set eyes on the thriving little town of Cooperstown in 1902.  Coming from a long line of flour millers in England, Mars Cussons, as he was called by his friends, was interested in purchasing the mill.

Mars Cussons was first introduced to the milling trade in Horicon, Wisconsin, where he was born in 1871.  His family migrated to southern Minnesota where they established flourmills in Stewartville and Chatfield.

It was in Chatfield where he met his wife-to-be, Josephine Shermerhorn, and they were married in April 1898.

Mr. Cussons liked what he saw in Cooperstown and purchased the Cooperstown Milling Company.

Later that same year he sent for his family and the rented living quarters until their home was built 1908.

Mr. Cussons was very fond of children and furnished all the material for a playground that was built in the block where the post office is now located.

He served several terms on the City Council.  When L. A. Sayer, Sr. was mayor, the senior James Marsar Cussons served as an alderman.  Years later James Marsar Cussons, Jr., served on the council when L. A. Sayer, Jr. was mayor.

During his years in Cooperstown Mr. Cussons was a member of the Cooperstown Commercial Club from the time he arrived until he retired in 1958, and had served as its president.  He was a member of the Masonic, Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows lodges.

Josephine Cussons died in 1954 and James Marsar Cussons in 1961.  Their children are: 

1.     Marcia (Mrs. Glen Miner), Grand Forks, North Dakota, Lois (Mrs. H. G. Hammer), Scottsdale, Arizona, Doris of Cooperstown, Barton of Turner, Oregon, and James, Cooperstown.

Source: Griggs County History 1879 - 1976 Page 64


Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1