The history of St. George's Catholic Parish, Cooperstown, North Dakota, emphasizes its youthfulness.  The records of the parish do not record any Catholics among the early settlers of the Cooperstown area.  Even when Cooperstown was a well -established city, Catholics were but a handful in number.  Until 1931, the few Catholics who did reside in the area attended Mass at Jessie or station Mass at Sutton.

When Fr. Charles Schneider assumed the pastorate of St. Lawrence Church, Jessie, he established Cooperstown as a station.

In 1936, the Catholics were able to purchase the church formerly used by the Congregationalists for $900.00.  The new church was named in honor of the patron saint of the pastor the people loved so much, Fr. George Miller.  The first Mass was offered in the newly acquired church on November 26, 1939.

The parish church had earlier been incorporated with the state of North Dakota.  The Corporation Board listed Bishop Muench, Fr. George Miller, Fr. Leo Dworshack, Mr. William M. Pfeifer and Mr. Frank Bednar as officers.  The document of incorporation is dated August 29, 1941.

The first wedding in the newly dedicated St. George's Church was that of Loretta Bednar and John Paintner on June 6, 1944.  August 14, 1944 marked the inception of daily Mass in the church.  The Catholic Youth Organization began on November 2, 1944 and the Adult St. George Study Club with Mrs. S. L. Lemna, president, began on December 10 of the same year.  The first Midnight Mass in Cooperstown was offered December 25.  Bishop Muench confirmed the first confirmation class on June 16, 1945.  In August 1945, Fr. Bernard Guenther, C. S. S. R. succeeded Fr. Huber as pastor of St. George's.

In December 1945, Fr. Guenther prevailed upon the parishioners to purchase land for a cemetery.  Fr. Breitenbeck offered the first memorial Mass at the cemetery on July 4, 1952.  The first burial in the cemetery was that of Mrs. Mary Hovel on July 2, 1948.

In 1952, the parishioners voted to build a new church.  On August 9, the feast of St. Alphonsus, patron of the Redemptorist Order, Bishop Leo F. Dworschak, Auxiliary Bishop of Fargo, solemnly blessed the new church.  The cost of construction and furnishing was approximately $120, 000.00.  To finance the project the parish borrowed $72,000.00.  The debt was staggering and it would take many years to repay.

Among the missionary priests who called Cooperstown home during and following the years of the pastors already mentioned were Frs.  Schumaker, Dalton, Zeller, Langfield, Kalvelege, Gherman, Morrisey, Cosgrove, Murphy, Novak, Mulligan, Justin, Hassler and Winter.  Of importance too, both to the Mission House and to the parish, were the services of the Redemptorist Brothers, namely Liguori, George, John Bosco, Walter and Daniel.

Fr. B. J. Langton became the fourth Redemptorist pastor in April 1956.  He remained until October 1959, when he was succeeded by Fr. Stanley Burke.  Both Fr. Langton and Fr. Burke spent much of their time in the parish raising funds to pay the crushing debt.  Still, when Fr. Burke left St. George's, and the spiritual care of the Cooperstown Catholics was transferred to diocesan priests in the person of Fr. C. Jaillet, the debt stood at $25, 000.00.  Fr. Jaillet came in 1964.  he stayed less than a year.  in early 1965 he left the Diocese and Cooperstown for the mission fields of the Bahamas.

Fr. Adam Hasey, who had been stationed in nearby Tolna, came to St. George's in summer of 1965.  During his tenure of eight years the parish of St. George's seemed to get its second breath.  With a continually growing parish roster of over 300 souls by the time he left and the debt all but paid, Fr. Hasey led the parish in building a large new rectory with a full sized catechetical center in the rectory basement.  The new rectory was attached to the church and the old rectory, once St. George's Mission House, and before that, the residence of Dr. C. F. Craig, was torn down to make room for a parking lot for the church.  More importantly, Fr. Hasey led the parish through the sensitive years of the Church renewal that followed on the Second Vatican Council.  The parishioners were sad to bid him farewell in July 1973.  His had been the longest stay of any pastor in the parish and during his pastorate the parish saw its greatest growth numerically.  Fr. George Schneider, the present pastor, was appointed to St. George's in July 1973, and was installed in September of the same year.

Source Page 51

 

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict        Valid CSS level 2.1